Warning compiling BIND 9.4.3 with ISC_SOCKET_USE_POLLWATCH defined

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jan 4 19:31:50 UTC 2009

Now(!) that I am aware of the existence of BIND 9.4.3, and with the
intention of using it in production on Solaris 10 hosts, I thought
I ought to configure it with STD_CDEFINES=-DISC_SOCKET_USE_POLLWATCH
as suggested by the entry for change 2489 (although I am not aware
that we have had any problems with beta versions of 9.4.3).

However, doing this generates a compiler warning:

cc -mt  -I/usr/local/software/bind/bind-9.4.3 -I./include
 -I./../pthreads/include  -I../include  -I./../include  -I./..
 -D_REENTRANT  -DISC_SOCKET_USE_POLLWATCH -D_XPG4_2 -D__EXTENSIONS__
 -O     -c socket.c
"socket.c", line 3167: warning: improper pointer/integer combination: arg #5

and indeed the call of manager_log there seems to have the wrong
number of arguments. Ought I to consider this a show-stopper?
(That is, would BIND crash if it ever got to exercise this bit of code?
I've been running the resulting binary on a workstation without trouble,
but it is under very light load there.)

The C compiler is the Sun Studio 10 one, if that matters.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk