zone transfer problem

wes bind at the-wes.com
Fri Jan 2 15:00:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães <
leolistas at solutti.com.br> wrote:

> Sener ATAS escreveu:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I try to add slave dns server. But there is a problem about zone transfer.
>> If I don't edit manually slave server's named.conf file, zone files don't
>> transfer from master to slave.
>>
>> log file at slave dns is;
>>
>> 02-Jan-2009 16:40:03.226 notify: client 192.168.117.50#63516: received
>> notify for zone 'yyy.aaa.com': not authoritative
>>
>> 192.168.117.50 my master dns.
>> both server is FREE BSD with BIND 9.5.1
>>

>   where's the problem !?!? This is the correct (and so the expected one)
> behavior of bind. There's no auto-configuration for slave zones. You'll have
> to, somehow, sinc your configurations so slave servers can receive the new
> slave zones.
>
>   there's no problem at all, just a misunderstanding that bind should
> transfer all zones automatically.
>
>   this was discussed some days ago on the list .......
>
> https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2008-December/074290.html
>

> --

As per Michael's suggestion, I have used Webmin, and it works very well.
When I create a new zone on the master via Webmin, it now has a field asking
which slaves to create the zone on as well, which is automatically populated
with the slave Webmin server's IP.

-wes