reverse zone file in external view not transferring to slaveserver??

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Wed Dec 2 22:59:51 UTC 2009

Major thanks Joseph!!!!

Added below:

> // logging clause - who, what, where, why, when, how, how long?
> logging {
>     channel querylog {
>         file "/var/log/named/query.log" versions 15 size 25m;
>         // severity debug;
>         severity info;
>         print-time yes;
>         print-category yes;
>         print-severity yes;
>     };
>     channel securlog {
>         file "/var/log/named/security.log" versions 15 size 25m;
>         // severity debug 9;
>         severity info;
>         print-time yes;
>         print-category yes;
>         print-severity yes;
>     };
>     channel all {
>         file "/var/log/named/named.log" versions 15 size 25m;
>         severity info;
>         print-time yes;
>         print-category yes;
>         print-severity yes;
>     };
>
>     category queries { querylog; };
>     category security { securlog; };
>     category lame-servers { null; };    // ignore
>     category default { all; };
> };

with addition of this:

    category xfer-out {
        default_syslog;
        default_debug;
    };

Inside the logging statement! The response I got below:

03-Dec-2009 00:52:20.105 general: info: zone
2.178.81.in-addr.arpa/IN/external: refresh: non-authoritative answer
from master 192.168.1.100#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0)

This is for my slave server! I think it's because the authoritative
answer is coming off my ISP, however though if the zone file is valid is
should be authoritative and irrelevant whoever else has the zone to my
understanding anyway..... - oh hang on, on second thought of course it's
not authoritative due to the IP address that's sending the information!
I believe that's been my issue all along.

Now however I really do like the log output as I can actually see what's
going on :-)

I just hope this doesn't take up many CPU cycles and memory as the debug
commands do in Cisco devices rendering them almost unusable in a fully
setup network environment.....

--Kaya