slave transfer problems

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Apr 29 23:11:07 UTC 2009

I have been having some long standing issues with my secondary
provider that I would like to learn how to solve, and who needs to
look to solve the errors.  When I make an update, it seems hit or miss
as to how long before I see it hit the secondary.

Apparently they have a server at  xx.xx.0.26 that pulls the slave
data, even though I list the secondary NS as  xx.xx.0.18.   xx.xx.0.18
seems to be a slave of  xx.xx.0.26.

My master has:
options {
         directory "/var/named";
         allow-transfer {  xx.xx.0.26; };
         transfer-source  xx.xx.37.14;
         also-notify {  xx.xx.0.26; };
};

* I redacted some lines, but those are the ones I believe to be
important.

They sent me some lines from their logs, which I will make comments on
in-between. I am pretty sure there is nothing for me to do on my end,
and this is for them to solve, but wanted to confirm...

NS0 is  xx.xx.0.26, which is where I send my notifications to.

> Computer:	NS0
> zone myfriendssite.com/IN: refresh: unexpected rcode (REFUSED) from
> master xx.xx.37.14#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0)

I do not understand this one, why would source be 0.0.0.0?  This looks
like my machine, .14 is refusing their refresh request.  Do I need to
allow-recursion for their NS0?

At any rate, I no longer have zones for this domain on the primary,
the domain owner has asked to terminate hosting.  I asked the
secondary to remove this from their slave.  I assume this, and the
below errors, especially the NOTAUTH are telling me exactly that, that
there is simply no data for this zone, and they need to remove the
slave files?

> Computer:	NS0
> zonemyfriendssite.com/IN: Transfer started.
>
> Computer:	NS0
> transfer of 'myfriendssite.com/IN' from xx.xx.37.14#53: connected
> using
>  xx.xx.0.26#4012
>
> Computer:	NS0
> transfer of 'myfriendssite.com/IN' from xx.xx.37.14#53: failed while
> receiving responses: NOTAUTH

-- end of logs for myfriendsite.com

> Computer:	NS0
> zone someone-else.com/IN: refused notify from non-master:
>  xx.xx.37.6#56516

This is a valid domain, current records, should be working fine.  Is
the refusal because they are asking  xx.xx.37.6?  Yes, this IP is on
the same machine, but that IP is used for http, and not DNS. So in
this case, my transfer source is  xx.xx.37.14, and they hit  xx.xx.
37.6, which named is not listening on, and get the above error?

Those are the only two they gave me, but the general problem is, I can
update a zone, change the serial, issue rndc reload, and see my logs
show a notify sent their way.  It can then take anywhere from a few
minutes, to hours, to sometimes days to get the change to hit the
secondary.

As far as you can see, is there anything on my end that I should look
into?  If I send a notify, see it in the logs, and do not see errors
with it, and further, in a while, someone like openDNS picks up on it,
would it be safe to assume my setup is good, and they need to look
into their end?

Thanks