Strange DNS Resolution Issues

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 8 18:58:40 UTC 2009

In article <griomf$jrj$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Revital Gorsht <revital at yorku.ca> wrote:

> I'm not sure how to check this.  Some other ones that were failing:
> cisco.com, hotmail.com.

dig www.cisco.com

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.cisco.com.    1377  IN CNAME www.cisco.com.akadns.net.
www.cisco.com.akadns.net. 32  IN CNAME origin-www.cisco.com.
origin-www.cisco.com.   33366 IN A  198.133.219.25

dig www.hotmail.com

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.hotmail.com.  2208  IN CNAME mail.live.com.
mail.live.com.    3128  IN CNAME toplevel.mail.live.com.akadns.net.
toplevel.mail.live.com.akadns.net. 580 IN CNAME origin.mail.live.com.
origin.mail.live.com.   2058  IN A  64.4.20.169
origin.mail.live.com.   2058  IN A  64.4.20.184
origin.mail.live.com.   2058  IN A  64.4.20.186
origin.mail.live.com.   2058  IN A  64.4.20.174

> But, if the problem was external, all of our servers (and others around
> the world) would've been unable to resolve these sites, no?  As I
> mentioned, only two were failing while the rest were resolving properly.

Maybe those two servers had cached something bad in the delegation to
akadns.net.  It's hard to say after the fact.  If it happens again, dump
your cache.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA