Strange DNS Resolution Issues

Revital Gorsht revital at yorku.ca
Wed Apr 8 18:00:01 UTC 2009

I'm not sure how to check this.  Some other ones that were failing:
cisco.com, hotmail.com.

But, if the problem was external, all of our servers (and others around
the world) would've been unable to resolve these sites, no?  As I
mentioned, only two were failing while the rest were resolving properly.

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu>
Sent by: bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org
08/04/2009 01:39 PM

comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
cc

Subject
Re: Strange DNS Resolution Issues

In article <grgauk$1udj$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Revital Gorsht <revital at yorku.ca> wrote:

> A few weeks ago, two of several internal DNS servers were suddenly
unable
> to resolve some external sites (eg microsoft.com, yahoo.com), while all
> internal and other external sites (eg google.com) were resolving fine.
> Since we couldn't pinpoint the cause, the problem went on for about 5
> hours and then magically fixed itself... we were all left scratching our

> heads.

Both those domains use CNAME chains that go through akadns.net.  Was
this common to all the domains you had problems with?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA