SERVFAIL and lame server errors for google MX servers

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Mon Oct 20 19:23:39 UTC 2008

At Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:35:44 +0100,
"andys" <a.smith at ukgrid.net> wrote:

>   I am seeing SERVFAIL errors from our FreeBSD BIND 9.5.0.2 server when
> looking up MX records for google.com.

I guess you mean 9.5.0-P2, and if so, do you explicitly specify
max-cache-size?  If not, that may be an implicit reason for the
trouble.  The default max-cache-size of 9.5.0-P2 is 32MB, way too
small for reasonably busy servers.  Depending on your available
memory, I'd suggest specifying at least 256MB for a busy server.

Aside from that, we're currently fixing a bug in cache entry
management of 9.5.  This may also be related to your symptom, and if
so, it will hopefully be fixed in the next beta (or RC) version of
9.5.1.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.