Should I use bind for SPF records?

MPays mailing at schiznik.com
Mon Oct 20 05:33:39 UTC 2008

Mike Halloran wrote:
> I have been using godaddy for the DNS entries.
> I can see that Godaddy supports SPF entries, but I have heard that I
> should set up the SPF entry on my server using bind. How does the
> receiving server know where to resolve the SPF entry?

SPF records are just a specialized DNS entry (as I understand it). You
will need to add your SPF record into whichever DNS servers your domain
is using, which at the moment, I guess would be GoDaddy's (you don't say
what your domain is)

The receiving server checks your domain's nameservers to find the SPF
entry. You can see these for yourself, with 'dig domain.tld NS' and 'dig
domain.tld TXT' from something that has dig installed..

Regards,
Matt