dnsperf and BIND memory consumption -- FreeBSD port dns/bind95 for AMD64 - memory leak?

ivan jr sy ivan_jr at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 15:36:48 UTC 2008

Thanks for the advise.
I'm currently testing the performance of authoritative queries. Test data is 100 zones with a total of 50,000 RRs, using dnsperf and invoked 6 times simultaneously.

That's 300,000 queries per run of the script. The script was invoked 5 (runs) successively. memory consumption was observed by just using 'top'.

result:

1.
FreeBSD dns/bind95 with the memory leak issue:
1st run:    30,241QPS - mem: 220MB
2nd run:    28,121QPS - mem: 640MB
3rd run:    14,854QPS - mem: 990MB
4th run:    9,521QPS - mem: 1780MB
5th run:    7,545QPS - mem: 2540MB (1.5 million queries)

note: the physical memory of the system is just 2GIG, swap was 20% during the last test.

i restarted the box (just to be sure) and...

2.
FreeBSD dns/bind95 with the patch below. ARCH=x86_64
1st run:    34,213QPS - mem: 65MB
2nd run:    33,505QPS - mem: 65MB
3rd run:    34,251QPS - mem: 65MB
4th run:    34,345QPS - mem: 65MB
5th run:    34,012QPS - mem: 65MB (1.5 million queries)
note: there was no movement in mem as shown by 'top'. not even a single KB

basically, the memory consumption did not move (as this is an isolated test setup)..

i'll be looping this script for a day or two, and after that test it as a recursive server for another day or two, and for another day and two as caching and authoritative at the same time. After that I can then migrate from my old linux box to this freebsd.

my tools are just:
http://www.nominum.com/services/measurement_tools.php

Thanks
- ivan