dnsperf and BIND memory consumption

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Fri Nov 28 09:09:13 UTC 2008

At Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:35:30 -0800 (PST),
ivan jr sy <ivan_jr at yahoo.com> wrote:

> so does this memory leak only occur if
> @ISC_ARCH_DIR@ is "noatomic" under FreeBSD amd64?
> and not when its "x86_32" ?

First off, note that I have no explicit evidence of memory leak.  But
*if there is indeed leak in the FreeBSD pthread library*, the key is
"noatomic".  With this configuration named will call pthread
locks/unlocks much, much heavier, so the problem may be observable
more clearly.  named still uses pthread locks Even with x86_32, so it
may just be leaking memory more slowly.

Again, everything is just a guess and could be wrong.  We should seek
advice from someone who knows FreeBSD library well.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.