dns refresh problem

Res res at ausics.net
Wed Mar 19 07:18:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Jabba wrote:

> What is with dns1.tktelekom.pl ? I thin I dont need them.

Oh yes you do, they are the authoritve holders of the IP address range you
want to have public PTR records for, you might control yourdomain.tld, and
can point names to any IP you want, but you do not get to do the same with
the IPs,  think of  x.x.x.in-addr.arpa sort of like a domain that you dont
own or control.

If you have exclusive right to the block you put in your zone file, you
need to have your service providor delegate that range to your DNS servers,
then the world will actually ask you for a name for ip.whatever, at
present no one will be, and never will as that "ip - domain" is delegated
to somewhere else, being tktelekom.pl.

>> What the hell is with those TTLs ?
>> Use something more sane, no need for the ;$ORIGIN xxxx.pl stuff either.
>>
>> $TTL    1D
>> @       IN      SOA     ns.xxxx.pl. hostmaster.xxxx.pl. (
>>                          2008031801
>>                          3H
>>                          30M
>>                          4W
>>                          1D )
>>                          NS      ns.xxx.pl.
>>                          NS      ns2.xxxx.pl.
>

> I  have taken it from some sample from internet. I dont have to much
> experience in dns.
> Thx for correcting

Thats ok, grab a copy of the bind9 admin guide off the ISC site, cant
recall its exact name or URL but pop over to  www.isc.org/bind and you'll
find it.

--
Cheers