Flushing the Journal file ???

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Jun 23 23:37:02 UTC 2008

> Hi,
> I have a modification to do in a Dynamic Zone and I wanted to verify the
> correct way to do this :
> - log-in to the server
> - rndc stop
> - vi "zone_file"         (I delete NS record lines)
> - rm "zone_file".jnl
> - start named again
>
> What I have to do is remove NS records, which I don't seem to be able to do
> with   nsupdate  !!!
>
> Is there a way to do this without stopping the server ???

	1. using nsupdate:

	At the apex just add the new NS reccords then remove the
	old NS records.  Order is important as nameservers won't
	let you remove all the NS records at the apex.  This is
	a restriction in the UPDATE protocol.

	At the bottom of zone, make sure you tell nsupdate which
	zone you are updating (zone <zonename>) then just remove
	them.

	2. by hand:

	If you still want to edit the zone by hand the procedure is:

		rndc freeze <zone>		# stop update processing and
						# write out the zone if needed
		edit master file, update serial
		rndc reload <zone>
		rndc thaw <zone>		# resume update processing

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org