Flushing the Journal file ???

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 23 13:28:11 UTC 2008

On Jun 23 2008, Richard Migneron wrote:

>I have a modification to do in a Dynamic Zone and I wanted to verify the
>correct way to do this :
>- log-in to the server
>- rndc stop
>- vi "zone_file"         (I delete NS record lines)
>- rm "zone_file".jnl
>- start named again
>
>What I have to do is remove NS records, which I don't seem to be able to do
>with   nsupdate  !!!
>
>Is there a way to do this without stopping the server ???

Certainly:

  rndc freeze [zone]
  [edit the zone file]
  rndc thaw [zone]

That's assuming you are at BIND 9.3 or later. If you aren't, you should be.

But why do you say that you can't remove NS records with nsupdate? I have
done that lots of times. There is one gotcha: you can't remove *all* the
*apex* NS records for a zone: BIND silently retains the last one. The solution
is to add the new NS records, then delete the old ones, in the same update
transaction.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk