Cannot query the MX record for cn.ibm.com

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Jun 5 19:32:03 UTC 2008

It could be related to the fact that the initial response from the
authoritative servers is truncated if edns0 is not used. MS DNS is
able to handle edns0, but perhaps your firewall doesn't like it.

$ dig cn.ibm.com mx +norec @ns.austin.ibm.com +ignore
[...]
;; flags: qr aa tc; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 15, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0
[...]
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 508

$ dig cn.ibm.com mx +norec @ns.austin.ibm.com +edns=0
[...]
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 15, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 17
[...]
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 799

Chris Buxton
Professional Services