URGENT, PLEASE READ: 9.5.0-P1 now available

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Jul 29 21:05:19 UTC 2008

At Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:27:16 -0400,
"Emery Rudolph" <emery.rudolph at gmail.com> wrote:

> My two nameservers have been operating for more than two years and are
> thoroughly monitored. I can tell you with all confidence, proof and
> definitive resolve that neither servers cpu has exceeded 5% utilization in
> all of that time. Upon upgrading the secondary server, the cpu now hovers
> between 60% -> 80%. The problem is strictly the BIND code.

I didn't say it's not the BIND code that caused the errors.  I'm sure
it is.  But it's also very strange to me that a server that has a
reasonable network connectivity and only receives a moderate rate of
queries encounters such a drastic change.  At the moment I have no
theory in my mind about how exactly this happened on your instance of
server.  Hopefully the next patch P2 will mitigate the issue.

> Was the code changed so that named opens a pool of random UDP ports for use
> in answering these queries?

It doesn't pool sockets.  It opens a new socket bound to a randomly
chosen UDP port for each outgoing query.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.