Basic Question re Security issue

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Sat Jul 26 05:36:54 UTC 2008

What version of BIND did you upgrade from? If it was BIND 9.3.x or
earlier, then I think you have not created an allow-recursion
statement - you've been relying on the default of:

options {
	allow-recursion { any; };
};

The new default is:

options {
	allow-recursion { localhost; localnets; };
};

You probably just need to open that back up somewhat. Please do not
return your config to using an allow-recursion ACL of { any; }. Keep
it as limited as you can while allowing those you must allow.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice