Caching name server setup problems

Michael Varre mike at jirc.com
Tue Jul 15 16:59:37 UTC 2008

> > I don't think you can turn on caching if you used BIND as recursive
> > resolver
> > :) So it most probably does cache the data. You can simply try
> >
> > dig +norecurse @yourserver <name>
> >
> > so BIND will only return local/cached data
> > --
> > Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar at fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
> > Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
> > Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
> > Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
> [Michael P. Varre]
>
> Well I *think* I've got it working. Now
>
> I had "forward only;" and recursion turned off.  Not sure how the heck
> missed that.  I removed forward only (I of course only want to forward
> if
> *I* don't have an answer)...and I would be either my cache or my
> locally
> hosted internal zones.  And recursion to on...well duh I want to
> recurse if
> I DON'T have the answer for other stuff.
>
> I then did dig msn.com = 112msec.  then did dig msn.com again and got
> 1msec.
> From what I can tell so far I think its working as planned.  Think im
> missing something here?

[Michael P. Varre]
Actually I did just think of two other questions directly related to this
scenario.

1.	in the spirit of redundancy, im setting up a primary and secondary
in the scenario.  Is there any way to replicate or share that cached data
between my two servers?  From what I am seeing the answer is no - and im
fine with that as long as it's the actual answer.

2.	I guess back to your original point about forwarding and
recursing...i see that when I +trace my queries aren't actually being looked
up by the forwarders I have set in bind...they are doing full recursive
queries to the root serves, which I suppose actually makes perfect sense.

When I turn recursion on, it doesn't use the forwarders I have set, when I
turn it off and do a dig for an outside domain it says "dig: couldn't get
address for 'H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET': not found" - or whichever other root
server it tries at the time.

Am I missing something here?  So if I want to run a caching server I cant
use my ISP's upstream DNS server?  I have to actually do full recursion on
first-time lookups?

Thanks again!