Developing against libbind

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 23:53:23 UTC 2008

Hi Jaap,

Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:

>     "man resolver" just gets me the documentation of how to use
>     /etc/resolver.conf - what I'm looking for is some documentation of an
>     API to resolve DNS names, including A, MX, PTR and SRV records from a C
>     application we're developing.  I've read about Bind's resolver library
>     and was hoping to use that.
>
>     e.g.
>     - Our application links to bind resolver library to process DNS calls
>     - The bind library contacts the local lwresd, which gets the info from
>     the DNS (our nameservers, which run Bind 9.5)
>     - The bind library passes the result back to the application
>
> You might consider using the NLnet Labs lib dns library. See
> http://nlnetlabs.nl/projects/ldns/ for details.

Thanks for this info.  I've had a quick look around your website.  Is
this open-source, and what are the licensing terms for this library?

It certainly looks like it will do the job for me.  I would have
preferred to use the bind libraries, and if anyone can point out any
documentation/pointers in the meantime I'll gladly give it a whirl.
It's safe to say I'm still a novice when it comes to C, which is why at
the moment I prefer to read documentation rather than already-written code.
> 	jaap
>
> Disclaimer: I do work for NLnet Labs.

Regards,

Andy