Internal DNS resolution look up fails

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jan 1 23:50:34 UTC 2008

> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 10:01:19 +0200, Haim [Howard] Roman wrote:
> > Or trying running the following commands to check your DNS files:
> >
> >     * named-checkconf
> >     * named-checkzone
>
> Well, shuckey dern, it works better
>
> # nslookup $(hostname)
> Server:         192.168.1.130
> Address:        192.168.1.130#53
>
> Name:   wb.home.invalid
> Address: 192.168.1.130
>

> Seems my host names with underscore caused my first problem
>
> wb7_0           A       192.168.1.31
> 2007_0          A       192.168.1.212
>
> but reverse look ups still fail.
>
> # named-checkzone -w /var/lib/named/var/named/reverse/ \
> .168.192.in-addr.arpa  home.reversed
>
> shows no errors, but

	I suggest that you try that test again.

% named-checkzone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa home.reversed
dns_rdata_fromtext: home.reversed:4: near '8H': not a valid number
zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa/IN: loading master file home.reversed: not a valid number
%

	See below for the cause.

> # nslookup 192.168.1.130
> Server:         192.168.1.130
> Address:        192.168.1.130#53
>
> ** server can't find 130.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa: SERVFAIL
>

> Will I have to create reversed ip zone for each ip address on the LAN?
>
> I thought "home.reversed" would make a kind of wild card look up.
>
> # head -19 /var/lib/named/var/named/reverse/home.reversed
> $ORIGIN .
> $TTL 86400      ; 1 day
> 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA  wb.home.invalid. (
>                                 19              ; serial
>                                 8H              ; refresh
>                                 4H              ; retry
>                                 1W              ; expire
>                                 1D              ; minimum
>                                 )

	Well a valid SOA record would help.

>                 NS      wb.home.invalid.
> $ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> 11      IN      PTR     fw.home.invalid.
> 12      IN      PTR     wb1.home.invalid.
> 130     IN      PTR     wb.home.invalid.
> 131     IN      PTR     beta.home.invalid.
> 132     IN      PTR     kubu7.home.invalid.
> 133     IN      PTR     fc7.home.invalid.
> 134     IN      PTR     fc8.home.invalid.
> 140     IN      PTR     wb4.home.invalid.
>

> # head -24 /var/lib/named/var/named/master/home.zone
> $TTL 86400      ; 1 day
> home.invalid.           IN SOA  ns1.wb.home.invalid. wb.home.invalid. (
>                                 19              ; serial
>                                 1D              ; refresh
>                                 6H              ; retry
>                                 1W              ; expire
>                                 1H              ; minimum
>                                 )
> ; DNS Servers
> @       IN      NS      ns1
> @       IN      NS      ns2
>
> ; Machine Names
> @       IN      A       192.168.1.130
> ns1     IN      A       192.168.1.130
> ns2     IN      A       192.168.1.130

	What's the point of have two nameservers that point to the
	same address?

>                 NS      wb.home.invalid.

	Did you really intend to delegate ns2.home.invalid to
	wb.home.invalid?

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org