Internal DNS resolution look up fails

Bit Twister BitTwister at mouse-potato.com
Tue Jan 1 10:55:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 10:01:19 +0200, Haim [Howard] Roman wrote:
> Or trying running the following commands to check your DNS files:
>
>     * named-checkconf
>     * named-checkzone

Well, shuckey dern, it works better

# nslookup $(hostname)
Server:         192.168.1.130
Address:        192.168.1.130#53

Name:   wb.home.invalid
Address: 192.168.1.130

Seems my host names with underscore caused my first problem

wb7_0           A       192.168.1.31
2007_0          A       192.168.1.212

but reverse look ups still fail.

# named-checkzone -w /var/lib/named/var/named/reverse/ \
.168.192.in-addr.arpa  home.reversed

shows no errors, but

# nslookup 192.168.1.130
Server:         192.168.1.130
Address:        192.168.1.130#53

** server can't find 130.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa: SERVFAIL

Will I have to create reversed ip zone for each ip address on the LAN?

I thought "home.reversed" would make a kind of wild card look up.

# head -19 /var/lib/named/var/named/reverse/home.reversed
$ORIGIN .
$TTL 86400      ; 1 day
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA  wb.home.invalid. (
                                19              ; serial
                                8H              ; refresh
                                4H              ; retry
                                1W              ; expire
                                1D              ; minimum
                                )
                NS      wb.home.invalid.
$ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
11      IN      PTR     fw.home.invalid.
12      IN      PTR     wb1.home.invalid.
130     IN      PTR     wb.home.invalid.
131     IN      PTR     beta.home.invalid.
132     IN      PTR     kubu7.home.invalid.
133     IN      PTR     fc7.home.invalid.
134     IN      PTR     fc8.home.invalid.
140     IN      PTR     wb4.home.invalid.

# head -24 /var/lib/named/var/named/master/home.zone
$TTL 86400      ; 1 day
home.invalid.           IN SOA  ns1.wb.home.invalid. wb.home.invalid. (
                                19              ; serial
                                1D              ; refresh
                                6H              ; retry
                                1W              ; expire