Domain unresolved in Singapore

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Feb 19 23:44:07 UTC 2008

This is something I get asked from time to time: How big a deal is it
that the servers have one set of names in the delegation, and another
set of names in the authoritative NS records? I mean, assuming the
names all resolve to the same set of addresses, as is the case here?

$ dig +short ns1.guentner.co.id ns1.guentner-asiapacific.com
ns2.guentner.co.id ns2.guentner-asiapacific.com
222.124.211.227
222.124.211.227
222.124.211.228
222.124.211.228

Now granted, using the .id names in the delegation means there's no
glue with the delegation, so this adds 3 extra queries to the
resolution, but we're still talking about roughly the same amount of
work for the resolver as www.yahoo.com.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice
Address: Noatun 17, IS-105, Reykjavik, Iceland
Phone:   +354 412 1500
Email:   cbuxton at menandmice.com
www.menandmice.com

Men & Mice
We bring control and flexibility to network management

This e-mail and its attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information only intended for the person or entity to which
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination,
distribution or copy of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and immediately delete this message and all its attachment.