Domain unresolved in Singapore

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Feb 19 22:29:08 UTC 2008

> On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 09:43 +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 03:30:48PM +0700,
> >  Kadek Hendra Lesmana <ikadek at gmail.com> wrote
> >  a message of 10 lines which said:
> >
> > > Why this address is unresolved in Singapore but it's okay in Germany?
> > > I checked with DNS Report from DNS-Stuff and no error, only some
> > > warning.
> >
> > Bad tools, use another tool.
> >
> > Zonecheck (http://www.zonecheck.fr/) clearly indicates the problem:
> > only two name servers and probably in the same room, which means that
> > any network glitch will prevent name resolution. Use more diverse name ser
> vers.
>
> The fact that these servers are on the same subnet or in the same AS
> does not necessarily mean they're in the same room. There are plenty of
> ways to build fault tolerance into the underlying network that render
> this kind of warning meaningless.
>
> Maybe they are in the same room, and there was a problem with one or
> both at the time the OP was testing. They certainly are up now.
>
> Is the problem ongoing? What does a dig +trace guentner-asiapacific.com
> from Singapore look like?

	It would help to fix the broken delegation.  Nothing will be
	reliable until that is fixed.

guentner-asiapacific.com. 172800 IN     NS      ns1.guentner.co.id.
guentner-asiapacific.com. 172800 IN     NS      ns2.guentner.co.id.
;; Received 97 bytes from 192.26.92.30#53(C.GTLD-SERVERS.NET) in 446 ms

slox.guentner-asiapacific.com. 300 IN   A       222.124.211.242
guentner-asiapacific.com. 300   IN      NS      ns2.guentner-asiapacific.com.
guentner-asiapacific.com. 300   IN      NS      ns1.guentner-asiapacific.com.
;; Received 131 bytes from 222.124.211.227#53(ns1.guentner.co.id) in 496 ms

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org