bind-9.5.0b1 problem on ppc64 : rbtdb.c:1532: REQUIRE(prev > 0) failed

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Tue Feb 5 08:27:49 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 2:48 PM, Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>
> > It's a caching DNS server. In this case CPU matters a lot, as the old
> > box tops at 100% CPU usage most of the time, and the new box is between
> > 30% - 60% (when it's working).
>
> It doesnt matter at all, the server I was referring to was a DNS cache, on

Really? That's new to me. We had several authoritative nameservers and some
caching nameservers, the caching-one always uses more CPU.

> primary for an entire state of dial/dsl customers hence why concurrent was
> set to 10000, because even at 8000 bind gave errors, and I made the fatal

We ended up setting it to 10000 as well.

> > A faster box should have less concurrent users (as shown by rndc status)
> > since each request can be processed quickly. I believe a more accurate
> > method would be to use number of queries per second.
>
> not in an ISP environment when you have 20K dsl users on one PoP :)

Try about one million users :)
Going from power4 to power5+ in my setup actually reduce concurrent users as
shown by "rndc status". Going from bind 9.3 -> 9.5 reduce it even further.

A P4 isn't sufficient for that (not in my experince, anyway)
I'm interested, though, in what tuning you have done on that server. Any
special settings that can significantly improve performance?

> Slackware offer commercial support as well, the team is on the website,

Thanks for the info. Another alternative to explore.

Regards,

Fajar