bind-9.5.0b1 problem on ppc64 : rbtdb.c:1532: REQUIRE(prev > 0) failed

Res res at ausics.net
Tue Feb 5 07:48:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> It's a caching DNS server. In this case CPU matters a lot, as the old
> box tops at 100% CPU usage most of the time, and the new box is between
> 30% - 60% (when it's working).

It doesnt matter at all, the server I was referring to was a DNS cache, on
primary for an entire state of dial/dsl customers hence why concurrent was
set to 10000, because even at 8000 bind gave errors, and I made the fatal
mistake of forgetting Binds default is 1000 concurrent when I threw that
p4 in (well it was middle of the night), it took me all of 5 mins later to
learn I forgot to up it because 'mon' failed and sent out a trillion sms
alarms :)

> The new box has 8G memory. However, named seeems to use only a little
> over 2G (this without any cache or datasize limit). Is there a way to
> make bind use, say 4-6G memory? When I tried setting max-cache-size to
> 4G, named refuses to start :-P

We had 4GB installed on normal DNS servers, they ran fine, never had a DNS
server with more ram so i'll leave that one for someone who has.

> How do you determine 8k concurrent? rndc status?

as above

> A faster box should have less concurrent users (as shown by rndc status)
> since each request can be processed quickly. I believe a more accurate
> method would be to use number of queries per second.

not in an ISP environment when you have 20K dsl users on one PoP :)

> If you can show me a reputable vendor that can provide Slackware support
> for a reasonable price, and works on a ppc box, and can run bind 9.5,

Whats to support you install it and it runs its not high maintenance like
RHEL etc because Slackware dont bastardise the packages that go in distro :)
You need support for likes of RH/CentOS because of all the splitting up
of things they do and stripping of code.
We used to run a RH mirror, and within a week of the dristro being
released, there was commonly a GB worth of updates to do.

Slackware 12.0 was released last July
/patches/packages# ls *.tgz | grep -c ".tgz"
49
Thats all the packages that needed updating (including desktop progs, now,
lets see RHEL..

/updates/i386/RPMS/ | grep -c ".rpm"
293
and thats for a release of, what was it October :)

You can easily upgrade between versions up until 12.0, and after 12.0, I
say this because in 12.0 they changed a few things -hotplug+udev and some
otehr stuff, even then it takes 2 mins and if you read the upgrade.txt
there is no problems, and all newer releases will be easily upgraded as well.
We have also always been able to run the server whilst upgrading,
requiring one single reboot at the end to kick in the new OS, meaning teh
upgraded servers were offline for no more than a minute!
For RH distro upgrades, 2/10 people have been able to do so successfully
with out a single drama. Normal Slackware is given updates for >5 years, like
RHEL.

> then I'm in. Official support (at least on the OS layer)
> is veeery important for the big guys, it doesn't matter that we hardly
> ever use it

Slackware offer commercial support as well, the team is on the website,
anyway I think we are soooooooooo far  OT here we are about to be
chastised... Sorry Mark :)

--
Cheers
Res