Force slave BIND9 server reload inmediately

kirk kirkb at kirkb.net
Mon Feb 4 20:39:11 UTC 2008

Arturo Díaz Almagro wrote:
> Hello all,
> Hope anybody could help me. I have two BIND9 servers where one is the master
> and other is the slave. I realized that when I perform a change in a zone
> file in the master and reload/restart the master BIND9 service the slave
> does not start the zone transfer inmediately. I have a 'high availability'
> system where the DNS server has an important role and I need those changes
> inmediately loaded. I noticed that those changes are loaded but in a big
> period time, so the system replication works. Could anybody tell me how to
> force BIND9 to load changes inmediately after the notifies are received?
>
> Thanks a lot.

I have seen this happen when the name server resource records(NS) in the
zone are invalid. The master will attempt to send notifies to those
invalid NS entries (which never gets to the destination or the incorrect
destination) but after the SOA "refresh" interval elapses the zone gets
updated fine.

Make sure that the notifies from the master to slave are reaching their
proper destination.