MIME garbage in comp.protocols.dns.bind

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Fri Dec 12 12:45:25 UTC 2008

In article <ghtjng$2pdi$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone still read this list via the comp.protocols.dns.bind Usenet
> gateway?  I do, and ever since the web site and mailing list revamp last
> month, it has been a real PITA.  About 1/3 of the messages in the group
> have all sorts of MIME garbage in the body of the messages.  The problem
> appears to be that the "Content-type: multipart/alternative" header line
> is being stripped from the header by the gateway; actually, it ends up
> in the body of the message.  As a result, my newsreader doesn't
> recognize that the message is multipart, and shows all the pieces
> literally.
>
> You can see the same thing if you view the messages in Google Groups, so
> it's not just my news provider (Motzarella) or newsreader
> (MT-Newswatcher).  The old mail-to-news gateway either got this right or
> extracted the plain text alternative before forwarding.
>
> I sent mail to bind-users-request a few weeks ago, but got no response.
> Is this bugging anyone else but me?

Yes, it's bugging me.  I use MT-Newswatcher (Mac OS X) and whilst I can
cope with the multipart/alternative hassle (just stop reading where it
turns into HTML - see [1]) the ones that really annoy me are the base64
encoded messages like [2].

I'm clearly less conscientious than Barry - I haven't complained before
now.

Sam

[1] <news:ghs3de$1f87$1 at sf1.isc.org>
[2] <news:ghtbae$2er0$1 at sf1.isc.org>