MIME garbage in comp.protocols.dns.bind

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 12 06:57:03 UTC 2008

Does anyone still read this list via the comp.protocols.dns.bind Usenet
gateway?  I do, and ever since the web site and mailing list revamp last
month, it has been a real PITA.  About 1/3 of the messages in the group
have all sorts of MIME garbage in the body of the messages.  The problem
appears to be that the "Content-type: multipart/alternative" header line
is being stripped from the header by the gateway; actually, it ends up
in the body of the message.  As a result, my newsreader doesn't
recognize that the message is multipart, and shows all the pieces
literally.

You can see the same thing if you view the messages in Google Groups, so
it's not just my news provider (Motzarella) or newsreader
(MT-Newswatcher).  The old mail-to-news gateway either got this right or
extracted the plain text alternative before forwarding.

I sent mail to bind-users-request a few weeks ago, but got no response.
Is this bugging anyone else but me?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA