DNS query with no domain

Kent Shuey shuey.kent at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 23:48:17 UTC 2008

It is good to understand the brokenness of the design, as well as the
constraints which are driving it.

Kevin rightly points out that the "fake mms zone" solution will only
work within the bounded space of a network whose DNS servers are under
common management.  That is a tall order, but let us assume that you
have such a network, you control of all the necessary DNS servers on it,
and that the handsets will never roam off of it or use other DNS
servers.  Then there is another issue to consider.

You may have heard that ICANN is considering opening up new TLD
registrations.  The proposed solution will work only as long as no one
ever creates a TLD called "mms."  If this TLD is ever created, and any
of your handsets ever needs to query for resources named in it, at that
point those handsets are broken.

You should go back to those who asked you to "make it happen" and ask
them to consider using the proposed new ICANN process to register the
"mms" TLD.  If they are unwilling to make that happen, then they must
contend with the possibility of having this rug yanked out from under
them sometime in the future.  Hopefully that will cause your askers to
reconsider the wisdom of their request.

By adding a dot and a few more characters registered in a suitable TLD,
you should be able to construct a FQDN which will be both short enough
and viable for the long term.

- KS