problem with setting BIND instance as a name-server for domain

Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris) andris at aernet.ru
Mon Aug 18 20:24:31 UTC 2008

Hello,

Thu, 14 Aug 2008 04:17:06 -0700 (PDT) ivanhoe wrote:

> I moved DNS server to a new machine, configured BIND and zones as
> usual, and it all seemed to work fine. Then I tried to add this DNS
> server as name-server for a new domain (on namecheap.com) and they
> don't let me with the following message:
> "Error nRRPResponseCode 531 means that the nameservers you are trying
>  to set up are not registered yet at VeriSign, so you need to make
> sure they are registered before updating the domain."
>
> I don't remember I ever needed to do anything like that before, so I
> wonder if this is some problem in my BIND configuration, or I really
> need to manually register a new DNS server with VeriSign ?

Speaking technically, the NameCheap wants you to add the IP address of
your DNS server together with its hostname to the Verisign/GRS database
as a "NAMESERVER" record. This is a requirement enforced in some gTLDs
like .COM and .NET and, IIRC, even in several ccTLDs like .TV. All of
these TLDs are maintained by Verisign.

The record I'm speaking about is:

[andris at maroon ~]$ whois -H verisign.com

[...]

    Domain Name: VERISIGN.COM
    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
    Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
    Name Server: CARQUINEZ.VERISIGN.NET
    Name Server: GOLDENGATE-W2-INF6.VERISIGN.NET
    Name Server: NS1.CRSNIC.NET
    Updated Date: 24-apr-2007
    Creation Date: 02-jun-1995
    Expiration Date: 01-jun-2012

[...]

[andris at maroon ~]$ whois -H -h whois.internic.net. "nameserver
NS1.CRSNIC.NET"

[...]

    Server Name: NS1.CRSNIC.NET
    IP Address: 198.41.3.39
    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
    Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com

[...]

Your domain registrar should be able to add your name server to the
Verisign/GRS database for you. Just look into your domain control panel
for something similar to the "Register name server" or "Register name
server records" or submit a support request.

--

Yours sincerely,

Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris)     http://www.andris.name/