Recursive queries fail if query source port is not fixed

Hans F. Nordhaug Hans.F.Nordhaug at hiMolde.no
Thu Aug 14 00:10:23 UTC 2008

* JINMEI Tatuya / ?$B?@L at C#:H <Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org> [2008-08-14]:
> At Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:42:40 +0200,
> "Hans F. Nordhaug" <Hans.F.Nordhaug at hiMolde.no> wrote:
>
> > > Do you mean any query always fails, or some queries sometime fail
> > > (while some others succeed)?
> >
> > Thx for replying.
> >
> > Any recursive query, i.e., any query for some domain the server isn't
> > authorative for, fails.
>
> Sorry, it's not very clear to me.  Do you mean no recursive queries
> succeed, right?

Yes. (I wrote "Any recursive query [...] fails".)

> That is, it's not only for 'www.uib.no' but also for
> 'www.isc.org', 'www.google.com', 'a.root-servers.net', whatever (as
> long as your server has authority for it)?

You meant "as long as your server doesn't have authority for it",
right? Anyway, yes, all of those fail except 'a.root-servers.net'.

> In any case, can you show the packet dump and named log with
> timestamps?

I kind of supplied that in my original e-mail. I'll send you the new
dumps for 'www.google.com' and 'a.root-servers.net' on private e-mail
(in very few minutes).

Thx for spending time on this.

Hans