BIND 9.5.0-P1 exiting due to assertion failure in rbtdb.c

Kai Lanz lanz at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 11 17:51:55 UTC 2008

On Aug 7, 2008, at 5:24 PM, JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 wrote:

> Thanks, some additional questions:
>
> - especially if it repeats, does it happen if you build named
>   --disable-atomic?

I rebuilt named with --disable-atomic, and that seems to have fixed
the assertion-failure crashes; the daemon has run almost 72 hours
now without dying.

But this morning we see a new problem:

Aug 11 04:01:14 pangea named[10832]: resolver.c:3239: unexpected error:
Aug 11 04:01:14 pangea named[10832]: isc_timer_create: out of memory

This is causing named to return SERVFAIL for every request. We also
see that named is using a huge amount of memory: resident set size
over 700MB.

How do we fix the out-of-memory error? Googling suggests this is a job
for max-cache-size...

--
Kai Lanz