Wits end

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Fri Apr 18 02:31:09 UTC 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 9:57 PM, Bob Hoffman wrote:

> Steven,
>
> I have to do recursion since my websites have to do mail and such.
> I have
> the oreilly book..and about 6 others. I have read them all.
> I asked everyone about the resolv file and no one said that could be
> it..however someone just wrote me an email, that coupled with the
> caching
> nameserver and 'bam' I can do nslookup.

The entry in resolve.conf is necessary to do ANY form of name
resolution. Your computer needs to know who to ask for DNS
information... even if the answer is the DNS service running locally.
Thus, adding either nameserver 127.0.0.1, or the network address of
the computer, would make dig/nslookup work. Again, answering
questions in order would have gotten you there hours ago!

> According to the bind, I can take over the default cacningfile and
> use my
> own named.conf file.

This is true, but many of the books are just a bit outdated regarding
the stuff I wrote to you about in the last email. I have a feeling
that you might be better off starting from scratch, so that when you
try to become authoritative for your own domains, you'll be able to.

> I am hihgly interested inyour 'don't't need it' statement and
> nothing wrong
> with me deleting it all and trying it from scratch (not that I have
> not done
> that 400times in the last two weeks).
>
> It was probably the resolv.conf. I had added 'nameserver IP' (IP
> was the
> assigned IP from the registrar registration) switching that ip to the
> 127.0.0.1 worked. I do not know how that will affect the
> websites...but I
> can do a lookup...wow!!!! I knew it was something little. The
> hardest issues
> to solve is always something stupid.
>
> I donot have an isp so to speak. My server is right on the backbone
> and I am
> repsonisble for the dns completely (other than the ip assignments
> they gave
> me)...so I have to do it here..and it should not be bad, just my
> sites will
> be on it.
>
> If it does not allow authoritative, then I have to axe it for sure.
> But the
> files are excellent so I will probably reuse most of it. I already
> know how
> to set up a view for external and internal, so maybe I will go that
> route.

Certainly make copies before you reinstall, so that you can save time
with configuration.

> I do reply to the list sometimes, but I hate to have the 'newbness'
> out
> there for an eternity. I am compiling a complete step by step
> though for
> everyone... From buying the server components to assembling them,
> installing
> linux, and configuring it.

We all deal with this. Look at my posts from years ago. This is a
help forum, after all!

> This dns battle just knocked the schedule copmpletely off kilter.
> http://www.bobhoffman.com/test.html

We all know this story...

> Unfortunately, I find each step is a battle. Just making the raid 1
> array
> was a real bitch (in my project website) and finding a lot of
> little tricks
> and tips...no book really walked me though it. It was not easy.

The battles get easier EVERY SINGLE TIME. Don't give up!