Wits end

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Fri Apr 18 01:37:02 UTC 2008

Bob,

Hate to burst your bubble, but you not only don't need the caching-
nameserver package, you really DON'T want to install it. Because you
are trying to actually become authoritative for your own sites, you
need the full bind package. The caching-nameserver package is really
for users who are trying to speed their internet connection by
caching their outgoing dns requests locally, instead of using the DNS
servers of their ISP, or for other, similar reasons.

The caching-nameserver package does not provide authoritative
nameserver capabilities. Further, in my experience, installing it
over a full bind installation has a tendency to actually break bind
altogether. Once upon a time, the two packages would both be
installed, and they worked together to fulfill their respective
roles, but now bind has complete caching capabilities built in to it.

It is my honest recommendation that you uninstall all bind related
packages, and then follow the steps I listed earlier to achieve a
complete, basic installation. Instead of hiring someone to do this
stuff, when you are clearly not scared to look under the hood
yourself, you'd do better to spend your money on a copy of O'Reilly's
DNS and BIND book. One afternoon of reading (probably only two
chapters), and you'd be entirely self-sufficient. Don't give up
though; success will be very rewarding! On a final note, make certain
to reply to the list, instead of to individuals, so that others can
learn from your experiences.

Steven