Geographic map of IPv6 availability

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp
Mon Oct 15 04:56:27 UTC 2007

At Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:23:12 -0700 (PDT),
Nathan Ward <nanog at daork.net> wrote:

> Does anyone have info on how bind (and other recursive resolvers)
> select whether to use v6 or v4 if an NS points at a resource with both
> A and AAAA records? Most OSes prefer the AAAA record, does bind behave
> the same?

BIND9 (I don't know about BIND8) decides the ordering of remote server
(v4 and v6) addresses based on the past round trip times.  In general,
server addresses that have a smaller RTT are preferred.  There's no
specific preference between v4 and v6.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.