Emails being wrongly delivered after DNS change

Dave Knight dave at knig.ht
Mon Nov 26 14:33:16 UTC 2007

Hi Stuart,

On 26-Nov-07, at 9:02 AM, Stuart Swan wrote:

>> I'd guess that the local application is configured to deliver the
>> mail
>> locally .. that might sound like a pretty dumb answer, but:
>>
>> Since you've not provided the domain, we can't check the DNS and
>> since
>> you've not told us the application that is running under Apache, we
>> don't have any way of determining the configuration that might be
>> in error.
>>
>> More information, please.
>>
>> AlanC
>>

> Sorry Alan,
>
> The application is CubeCart and the email address is correct as i've
> now tested it with a few other addresses successfully, I am running
> the Postfix mail agent.
>
> The domain is www.eyeblack.com

I think Alan's suspicion was correct:

   $ host www.eyeblack.com
   www.eyeblack.com has address 88.208.218.64

I assume that this is the web server where CubeCart is running

   $ host -t mx eyeblack.com
   eyeblack.com mail is handled by 20 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.com.
   eyeblack.com mail is handled by 20 ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.com.
   eyeblack.com mail is handled by 20 ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.com.
   eyeblack.com mail is handled by 0 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.
   eyeblack.com mail is handled by 10 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.
   eyeblack.com mail is handled by 10 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.com.
   eyeblack.com mail is handled by 20 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.com.

The MX records look sensible for Google Mail

   $ telnet 88.208.218.64 25
   Trying 88.208.218.64...
   Connected to server88-208-218-64.live-servers.net.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   220 avcserver.com ESMTP Postfix
   ehlo mbp.sanxion.org
   250-avcserver.com
   250-PIPELINING
   250-SIZE 10240000
   250-VRFY
   250-ETRN
   250 8BITMIME
   mail from: dave at knig.ht
   250 Ok
   rcpt to: test at eyeblack.com
   250 Ok
   quit

That same server is running Postfix and is accepting mail for
eyeblack.com.

Your Postfix is configured to accept mail for eyeblack.com - meaning
that any mail destined for eyeblack.com which originates on that
server will be handled by the Postfix on that server.

Assuming that that Postfix is configured to deliver mail for that
domain locally it will never get so far as looking up the MX for the
domain - it will either deliver it if it can, or queue it, or fail -
if the return address isn't going somewhere sensible you'll never see
the bounces.

It should be enough to remove eyeblack.com from the list of domains
handled by that Postfix.
If you need help with that you probably want to be posting to a
Postfix-users list though as your BIND setup seems fine for this
purpose.

dave