About Zone refresh on a very big DNS server.

Wang Penghui wangpenghui at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 08:30:08 UTC 2007

On 3月9日, 下午4时05分, Peter Dambier <p... at peter-dambier.de> wrote:
> ? ?? wrote:
> > Hello, list,
> > I am newbie here, So if i ask something stupid, please don't mad at me.
>
> > I have several DNS servers, each hosted more than one hundred thousand
> > domains. So these servers is a little bit busy. We used a cron job to
> > refresh all the zone files once a hour. But once a hour is too long for us.
> > But if we make the time shorter, These servers would have a very very high
> > load.
>
> > The current method to refresh the zone files is using the follow command:
> > /etc/init.d/named reload
>
> > I wonder know is there any another methods could done this for us.
>
> > Each response is apprecriated.
>
> > Wang
>
> > Wang Penghui
> >http://www.extmail.org
> >http://www.postfix.org.cn
>
> It depends on what data is in the zones. If your data is static
> e.g. no dynamic dns on the nameserver, then you might look for
> a nameserver that works with files and needs no reloads.

We use Bind 9.2.1-16 in RedHat 9. And all the zone files are simply
text files. And there are not any dynamic contents there. We use our
own programs to modify the zone file content. Then load the
modificaton via "/etc/init.d/named reload" to refresh the
modification.

The only problem is there are too many domains there, and every time
we refresh the zone files via "/etc/init.d/named reload" will take a
long time. So we have to slow the refresh stuff via make the time
longer.

I wonder know is there any better method could make the refresh time
shorter.

> e.g. tinydns (djbdns) works with files that are literally compiled
> before feed to the nameserver and the nameserver "updates"
> immediately.

DNS server migiration is impossible for us. Anyway we have to use
BIND. But thanks for your suggestion.

Wang Penghui