About Zone refresh on a very big DNS server.

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri Mar 9 08:05:54 UTC 2007

? ?? wrote:
> Hello, list,
> I am newbie here, So if i ask something stupid, please don't mad at me.
>
> I have several DNS servers, each hosted more than one hundred thousand
> domains. So these servers is a little bit busy. We used a cron job to
> refresh all the zone files once a hour. But once a hour is too long for us.
> But if we make the time shorter, These servers would have a very very high
> load.
>
> The current method to refresh the zone files is using the follow command:
> /etc/init.d/named reload
>
> I wonder know is there any another methods could done this for us.
>
> Each response is apprecriated.
>
> Wang
>

> Wang Penghui
> http://www.extmail.org
> http://www.postfix.org.cn

It depends on what data is in the zones. If your data is static
e.g. no dynamic dns on the nameserver, then you might look for
a nameserver that works with files and needs no reloads.

e.g. tinydns (djbdns) works with files that are literally compiled
before feed to the nameserver and the nameserver "updates"
immediately.

Bear in mind tinydns is not bind. It is designed completly
different and working differently. Always check with bind as a
reference if it does the right thing.

Same goes for the millions of other nameservers.

Group, please excuse me for mentioning another nameserver here.
I am running bind 9.4.0 myself and I am very satisfied with it.
Nevertheless I have to test and debug the others too :)

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier