WIndows DNS (master) -> BIND (slave)

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Jun 22 17:25:28 UTC 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 8:08 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> Many things out there have an FAQ section in the docs (Perl, PHP,
>> Apache, etc), seems that would be a perfect section for the "pre-
>> create
>> minimal zone files" issue (stating simply that one need not do so.)
>
> 	This isn't a FAQ issue.  In 20 years this is the first time
> 	I've heard of someone creating a minimal zone for a slave.
>
> 	Googling for 'slave "minimal zone file"' comes up with exactly
> 	one page.
>
> 	Mark

That would be because you have a more DNS-savvy class of customer
than we do. In supporting our DNS management software, as well as in
teaching DNS classes, I've been asked this question several times by
newbies. I've even had some of them create such placeholder zones.

However, it's not in our FAQ either.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice