"Empty zones" and BIND 9.4

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Jun 20 00:01:38 UTC 2007

> >>	Normally you only need "1.0.0 PTR localhost." as that
> >>	is usually the only address in use.
>
> There are lots of applications that need multiple ip-addresses.
> There are portable hosts connected or not - with ever changing
> ip-addresses.
>
> e.g. djbdns
>
> For whatever reason you want to run your own copy of the root.
> So you run tinydns on 127.0.1.229 as rootserver and
> dnscache on 127.0.2.229 and maybe
> your own imapd on 127.0.3.229.
>
> Localhost is still 127.0.0.1.
>
> It works and I have seen it on many portables.
>
> You cannot use an 192.168... on the lan or wlan because
> both of them get disconnected and both of them keep changing.
>
> On my laptop bind 9.4.0 is running on 127.0.8.229 and collecting
> data for the other nameservers.
>
> Of course bind "knows" all those 127... addresses and answers
> queries for them.

	Peter, how was this productive to the discussion?  "usually
	the only address in use" does not preclude the use of other
	addresses.  I use other addresses under 127/8 myself but I
	am also atypical in this respect.

	The discussion was what to name these other addresses and
	I was saying don't name them "localhost".

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org