"Empty zones" and BIND 9.4

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue Jun 19 15:55:19 UTC 2007

>>	Normally you only need "1.0.0 PTR localhost." as that
>>	is usually the only address in use.

There are lots of applications that need multiple ip-addresses.
There are portable hosts connected or not - with ever changing
ip-addresses.

e.g. djbdns

For whatever reason you want to run your own copy of the root.
So you run tinydns on 127.0.1.229 as rootserver and
dnscache on 127.0.2.229 and maybe
your own imapd on 127.0.3.229.

Localhost is still 127.0.0.1.

It works and I have seen it on many portables.

You cannot use an 192.168... on the lan or wlan because
both of them get disconnected and both of them keep changing.

On my laptop bind 9.4.0 is running on 127.0.8.229 and collecting
data for the other nameservers.

Of course bind "knows" all those 127... addresses and answers
queries for them.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

--