Bind dual zones?

Tim Hibbard hibbard at research.ohiou.edu
Fri Jul 27 12:37:23 UTC 2007

Greetings,

Forgive me for I not to greatly knowledgeable with Bind.  My experience
encompasses adding zones, cnames, anames and modifing the SOA.   Our
university (Ohio University) is experiencing growing pains DNS wise.  We
have two domains ohiou.edu and ohio.edu.  While I'm not the person that
handles the DNS I am part of a committee to help resolve the following
problem:

It has become a burden for the DNS team to create new DNS zone.  If a
user asks for foobar.ohiou.edu the administrator has to do a dual entry
in two different zones.  One for foobar.ohiou.edu and one for
foobar.ohio.edu.  Is there a way to overcome this problem so when we add
foobar.ohiou.edu that "something" is created to point foobar.ohio.edu to
the same address?

Any examples or feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Please remember
I'm a realiative newbie to Bind ;)

Thanks in advance,

Tim Hibbard

--

** To err is human--and to blame it on a computer is even more so.

Tim Hibbard
Senior Software Engineer
Vice President For Research
Ohio University