The IPFW Firewall Rules for a bind DNS are Confusing me.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Jul 27 10:30:36 UTC 2007

Mark Andrews writes:
>         No. You need to allow the reply traffic.
>
>         Traffic from outside
>
> >       ${fwcmd} add pass all from any to ${ip} 53
>         ${fwcmd} add pass all from ${ip} 53 to any  // allow reply traffic
>
>         Traffic you generate
>
> >       ${fwcmd} add pass all from ${ip} to any 53
>         ${fwcmd} add pass all from any 53 to ${ip} // allow reply traffic
>
>         Note I would lock down the query source port and
>         add it to "${ip}" -> "${ip} port" or use use keep-state and drop
>         the second rule.  If you use query-source port 53 you
>         can get away with just the first two rules.

	That makes sense. I discovered after posting my original
question that I also had failed to put the address of the new
DNS in the notify list of the master which made yet a second
problem which is totally unrelated to connectivity. I thought I
had multiple problems working in series to mess things up.
Thanks very much as always.

Martin McCormick