Installing BIND on 64 bit Win2k3 Server

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Jul 21 03:09:25 UTC 2007

Jim McAtee wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Danny Mayer"
>

>>> Any tricks to installing 9.3.4 on Windows 2003 Server R2 x64?  It looks
>>> like the installer is trying to install to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\, but
>>> the folder is never created and the service fails to start.
>>>

>> The binaries are actually installed in dns\bin and the config files are
>> in \dns\etc.
>>
>> Try creating the directories first and then run the installer.
>
> Right.  I got it working today.  Actually there's nothing special that
> you really have to do.  I was running into a permission problem on the
> \etc folder (couldn't create the pid file) and not finding the install
> in \system32\dns through me.  The files are actually installed to
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\dns\
>
> but the registry setting for the service startup uses
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\bin\named.exe
>
> Apparently Windows hijacks the install and changes the folder.  It
> actually works as shown above, since system32 gets mapped somehow to
> SysWOW64 for 32 bit applications.

It shouldn't but then you are using a 32-bit installer on a 64-bit
system so it may get the wrong answers.

>> BTW there is no need to install in Windows\system32 and I've stopped
>> doing
>> that.
>
> Always wondered about that and meant to ask what the reasoning was
> behind it.

The original installer (which I didn't write) did that and it was never
changed. The installer now gives you the option of installing it
anywhere. The installer uses the current location if it's already
installed and will otherwise provide a default.

There's no good reason to put it in a system directory.

>> Any reason why you are installing 9.3.4 instead of 9.4.1?
>
> The BIND server that this one is replacing runs 9.3.1 and I wanted the
> least amount of hassle transfering the config file and getting it up and
> running.  I'll look at 9.4.1 after things are settled.

There are no changes required to the config files.

Danny