Installing BIND on 64 bit Win2k3 Server

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Fri Jul 20 04:39:32 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Danny Mayer"

>> Any tricks to installing 9.3.4 on Windows 2003 Server R2 x64?  It looks
>> like the installer is trying to install to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\,
>> but
>> the folder is never created and the service fails to start.
>>

> The binaries are actually installed in dns\bin and the config files are
> in \dns\etc.
>
> Try creating the directories first and then run the installer.

Right.  I got it working today.  Actually there's nothing special that you
really have to do.  I was running into a permission problem on the \etc
folder (couldn't create the pid file) and not finding the install in
\system32\dns through me.  The files are actually installed to

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\dns\

but the registry setting for the service startup uses

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\bin\named.exe

Apparently Windows hijacks the install and changes the folder.  It
actually works as shown above, since system32 gets mapped somehow to
SysWOW64 for 32 bit applications.

> BTW there is no need to install in Windows\system32 and I've stopped
> doing
> that.

Always wondered about that and meant to ask what the reasoning was behind
it.

> Any reason why you are installing 9.3.4 instead of 9.4.1?

The BIND server that this one is replacing runs 9.3.1 and I wanted the
least amount of hassle transfering the config file and getting it up and
running.  I'll look at 9.4.1 after things are settled.