BIND 9.3.2 on FreeBSD 6.1 out of control

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Jan 8 23:29:39 UTC 2007

> Seems to me like this shouldn't take all that long though, should it?
> What's happening with me is that when it hits the max_cache_size, it
> consumes the CPU indefinitely. The only way to get it to settle down
> is to kill the process and restart it.
>
> Out of curiosity, do most people set max_cache_size? If not, how is
> BIND not indefinitely growing? If they do, how big is it usually set?
> I'm getting the impression that most people are not experiencing the
> same problems as me, but I have no idea what I could be doing wrong
> because I'm not sure how everyone else has configured their servers.
> My configuration file hasn't changed too much since upgrading from
> BIND 8.
>
> Patrick

	Every record has a TTL.  Records are removed once that time
	has expired either as a side effect of the lookup or in the
	regular cleaning sweep.  This is no different to BIND 8.

	You could be seeing this which is fixed in BIND 9.4.0rc1.

2116.   [bug]           'rndc reload' could cause the cache to continually
                        be cleaned. [RT #16401]

	If 'rndc reload/reconfig' (not rndc reload zone) was run
	while named was cleaning due to memory constaints it could
	run continually.

	If you are not running 'rndc reload' it should stop.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org