View Transfer

Alan Clegg Alan_Clegg at isc.org
Tue Dec 18 12:32:02 UTC 2007

Dmitry Rybin wrote:
> Hello world!
>
> I have 1 dns server with installed bind 9.4 and over 20 views with
> identical zones.
>
> How can I transfer all views and it's zones to the another DNS server
> with bind (slave)?

FAQ (but multiply by 10 since you have 10x as many views):

Q: How can I make a server a slave for both an internal and an external
view at the same time? When I tried, both views on the slave were
transferred from the same view on the master.

A: Use TSIG to select the appropriate view.

Master 10.0.1.1:
	key "external" {
		algorithm hmac-md5;
		secret "xxxxxxxx";
	};
	view "internal" {
		match-clients { !key external; 10.0.1/24; };
	};
	view "external" {
		match-clients { key external; any; };
		server 10.0.1.2 { keys external; };
		recursion no;
	};

Slave 10.0.1.2:
	key "external" {
		algorithm hmac-md5;
		secret "xxxxxxxx";
	};
	view "internal" {
		match-clients { !key external; 10.0.1/24; };
	};
	view "external" {
		match-clients { key external; any; };
		server 10.0.1.1 { keys external; };