BIND8 entering end of life; changes to ftp.isc.org (affects mirrors)

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Aug 10 22:10:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, John Wobus wrote:

>> There is no pain in moving to Bind9.
>
> No more pain than the usual twinge associated with replacing the
> software
> for a piece of your infrastructure that all your organization's internet
> activity depends upon 7x24, with software that has different memory and

when I took over a position about 4 years ago on a major Australian
national ISP/hostinhg centre all DNS servers were bind8, I moved them
bind9 with a simple compilation and restart, 10 mins to do all the
servers, the only diference was performance was in fact *better*

> BIND8?) constitutes a huge portion of the current DNS infrastructure.

Yep, scary isn't it :)

--

Cheers
Res