BIND8 entering end of life; changes to ftp.isc.org (affects mirrors)

Mordechai T. Abzug morty+bind at frakir.org
Fri Aug 10 13:20:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 08:34:49AM -0400, John Wobus wrote:

> P.S. I'm used to BIND9.  I like BIND9.  I especially like that it is
> more secure.
> I suggest anyone making that transition refer to the Top Nine Gotchas:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/networking/news/
> dnsandbind_0401.html

It's got at least a few items out-of-date.  Which is OK, because it's
4th edition, and 5th edition is the most recent.  Let's see:

* bind-users is now also used for bind9

* bind9 now supports name checking.  I think that got added in 9.3.x.

* bind 9.4.x introduces changes to default ACL behavior,
  i.e. allow-recursion and allow-query-cached (new) are more
  restrictive than the old behavior.

* the logging stuff has gradually reappeared / is gradually
  reappearing.

- Morty