How to generate Shared Lib in BIND9.4.1

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 07:54:34 UTC 2007

On Aug 2, 3:01 pm, neo <neoeq... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I have taken the source base of BIND9.4.1. But when I configure and
> compile it, I only see
>  static libraries under path "/usr/local/lib/".  They are as follows
> libbind9.a    libdns.a      libisccc.a    liblwres.a
>  But I want the shared library version of these libraries to be build
> by the compilation of the BIND9.4.1.
> So I searched for the options while doing the configure and I found
> below info.
>
>  --enable-shared[=PKGS]
>                           build shared libraries [default=yes]
>   --enable-static[=PKGS]
>                           build static libraries [default=yes]

IIRC, when I was building bind 9.2.3 for HP-UX and Solaris, shared
libraries wouldn't be built by default (however, bear in mind this was
3 years ago, and you are trying BIND 9.4.1). I think you need to
explicitly put '--enable-shared' in the configure command line. I
don't think I've ever put anything after, i.e. '--enable-
shared=<something>'. Also, it seems the help message is wrong, as it
was 3 years ago.

HTH,
Stefan.