When Domain Resolution just Stops one Day.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Aug 1 18:21:45 UTC 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer writes:
> only two name servers (which is low), both apparently in the same
> place (so they have a high probability to break at the same time).
>
> As of now, one of the two name servers, ns2.osu-med.org, is dead and
> never replies. This leaves only one name server, ns1. If it goes down,
> the domain breaks. I believe there is no need to search for a more
> complicated explanation.

That makes perfect sense to me.

> > how can I make sure these deligated zones don't run for 3 or 4 years
> > and then quit for no good reason.
>
> Set up more name servers, located in different places

	I will contact the administrator who supplies us with
that zone and make sure that the second DNS is working again.

> and, of course, not running MS-Windows.

Most definitely. I think some of this person's chiefs want to do
that very thing and those of us who like things to work are
nervous to say the least.

Martin McCormick